CNET Editors' review
English may be the lingua franca (Google it), but there are other languages--in fact, a lot of them. Software designed to translate text from one language to another is nothing new, but most typically involve lots of typing or cutting and pasting. Dicter is a free translation tool based on Google Translate. It automatically detects the original language and translates it into one of more than 40 other languages. It's much quicker and easier to use than most other methods, too.
Most of the time, Dicter is nowhere to be seen, but it pops up automatically when you type its hotkey combo (Ctrl + Alt) or click its system tray icon. Dicter works pretty much anywhere there's text, including Web sites, documents, and programs. We selected some text and typed Ctrl + Alt. After a brief moment, Dicter's tiny window opened, showing Translate from English at the top and English to Spanish at the bottom with our text translated into Spanish in between. Aside from Settings and Close buttons, there's only a button labeled To clipboard. We clicked it and pasted our text into a blank Word document, as easy as empanada. We sampled several languages, and each time Dicter quickly and completely translated our text from the original to the selected language; accurately, too, we hope, though when we translated one piece of text into three different languages consecutively and finally back to English, the results seemed more like something from the "Whisper Game" than readable text. That's to be expected with any machine translation, though, and that's why it's critical to work from primary sources. The program's Settings button let us choose to retranslate the text into another language selected from a long menu of choices or set a language for default translations from English.
Dicter is hands down the best translation software for everyday use we've encountered. It's extremely easy to use, with virtually instantaneous translations to and from 42 languages (so far) and an unobtrusive, flexible modus operandi (Dicter it!).
Dicter - One-click translation from / into 48 languages. Just mark the text and press Ctrl + Alt key combination to get translation in a popup window. Language autodetection. Supported languages Albanian, Arabic, English, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Dutch, Galician, Greek, Danish, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Spanish, Catalan, Chinese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, German, Norwegian Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Philippine, Finnish, French, Croatian, Hindi, Czech, Swedish, Estonian, Japanese
What's new in this version: Version 3.32 fixed small bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Read the CBR files.
- Convert English sentences to Hindi and vice-versa.
- Translate between different languages on desktop.
- Type in Hindi using iTrans scheme of transliteration.
- Translate any text on a Web page and other applications just by...
- Translate Skype chats to Dutch, French, Chinese or Japanese.
- Translate Web contents, chat, and documents between English and...
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Convert English sentences to Arabic and vice-versa.
- Translate English words into Indonesian and vice-versa.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 20 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Its constantly in your face!!"
Version: Dicter 3.32
It works fine
Don't like software that has to have it's own search engine and space on my computer, it would be nice if it would just load without adding on to what's in my computer or changing it
Good thing it's free because I wouldn't buy it!!
"Like it better than other translators"
Version: Dicter 3.32
Works great, does what it promises
Cant think of one
I would highly recommend this software
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content