CNET Editors' review
Microsoft Word templates can be serious time savers; if you find yourself creating similar documents over and over again, using a template can let you save the basic format and then automatically open it as a new document every time you want to work with it. The problem with templates--also known as DOTX and DOTM files--is that Word 2007 is the oldest version of Word capable of opening them. If you need to access the contents of a DOTX or DOTM file but you're running an older version of Word, you're out of luck, unless you have a program like DOTX to DOCX Converter. True to its name, this simple utility can convert DOTX and DOTM files to DOCX and DOCM files, letting you open them in earlier versions of Word.
There's not much to the program, really. The interface consists only of buttons that let you browse to the original template to be converted and the desired destination location. We chose a DOTX file we had handy, chose a new name and destination for the converted file, and clicked Convert. Almost immediately we got a message stating that the conversion was complete, and the new DOCX file opened in Word automatically. The program has no Help file, but that's OK; if you understand that you need to convert from a DOT file to a DOC file, there's really not much else you need to know. DOTX to DOCX Converter isn't fancy, but if you need to perform this specific task, it can be a lifesaver.
DOTX to DOCX Converter installs and uninstalls without issues.
From Michael Kourlas:
DOTX to DOCX Converter converts Office Open XML templates (DOTX/DOTM) to Office Open XML documents (DOCX/DOCM). The program is an effective supplement to the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack, which cannot convert these files.
What's new in this version: Version 10.1 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Convert your files between various formats.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Convert signals from MIDI devices to keystrokes with ease.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Learn how to reuse legacy forms by converting them to XML data ...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Convert XML documents into PDF or PostScript format.
- Create your CHM file from .html, .mht, .txt, .doc and .docx wit...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Convert MP3 files into CD-compatible WAV files and vice versa.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Convert video files between popular media formats.
- Reduce file size of your PDF documents.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Transform raster images to DXF, WMF, EMF, AI, and ASCII XY vect...
- Convert audio files between various formats.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content