CNET Editors' note: Please note that running this program without supervision of an experienced helper can cause your computer to not operate correctly.
CNET Editors' review
Combofix is a freeware utility that scans your PC deeply for spyware and malware, especially in combinations. It's a powerful tool that can remove stubborn infections but also delete files you need, if you let it, so inexperienced users who run Combofix without expert guidance do so at their own risk. Used properly, it can clean your PC much more deeply than typical tools, free or not, and not just of malware but other junk, too. It finishes with a detailed log that reports each step.
Combofix is portable freeware that runs when you click its extracted program file. We disabled our antivirus and firewall software, as Combofix recommends. Most programs advise you to close everything before you install them, but Combofix means it, and it'll tell you if an open window or running process needs to end before it can proceed. The program also automatically backs up your settings and creates a System Restore point, which is reassuring.
Combofix is mostly automatic in operation. It scanned our system and started deleting files at a rapid pace. A look at the scrolling log reassured us: Combofix was throwing out hundreds of tiny JPEGs left over from an uninstalled app. Other cleaners (which shall remain nameless) had missed them, and we were pleased to see them go. Most scans take less than 10 minutes, but infected PCs may take much longer; ours was clean, thankfully. Finishing requires a reboot. Things seemed to load and run faster; an extra benefit of this deep cleaner.
Combofix was designed to scan a computer for known malware, spyware (SurfSideKick, QooLogic, and Look2Me as well as any other combination of the mentioned spyware applications) and remove them. ComboFix allows the manual removal of spyware infections. It's a specialized effective cleaning tool, which is useful compared to other malware and spyware removers. After Combofix finished, a report will be created. You can use this report to search and remove infections which are not automatically removed.
What's new in this version: Version 184.108.40.206 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect folders, hide files, lock applications, and restrict ac...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your online privacy by cleaning up Internet history and...
- Keep your PC protected from all Internet threats, never slowing...
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 96 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Combofix 220.127.116.11
Combofix can and will rid you of malware that absolutely cannot be removed by any other program. Having fixed and cleaned computers since before some of you were born, one of the things I have done was test an obscene amount of software that never lives up to the task.
With Combofix browser hijacks, transformer type virus's, replicators, it just gets em all.
Anyone who knocks this software must have motive, ie., get's paid for other peoples misery and problems. I have seen commercial pc repair centers offer to wipe drives for a fee, yet I took these same machines and restored them to like new condition with the help of Combofix. BTW, that includes fully hijacked machines.
Using software like Malwarebytes is a powerful way to avoid mishaps, but, we do venture out, putting ourselves at risk. And when some type of malware slides on through it's Combofix to the rescue.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content