Coda from Panic Software offers a sleek, trimmed-down alternative to expensive Web design suites. This one-window Web design app combines all the tools you need to build a site, with an emphasis on creating a fast, easy, integrated workflow.
Coda's collaboration tools let you seamlessly work together with others, and a built-in FTP sidebar--using the power of Panic's powered-up Transmit 4--helps you get your site updated quickly. Hand-coding experts will like the full-featured CSS and text editors (although no code folding here), and editing multiple files side by side in split panes is a breeze. Coda also has tons of time-saving features, including Clips (for frequently used code snippets), an Open Quickly window (for fast access to specific files), and integrated subversion. We particularly like the powerful Find and Replace tools, which let you drag-and-drop global changes to your code.
Coda is neither perfect nor cheap (and we're getting antsy for Coda 2.0), but if you're searching for a reasonably priced Web design tool on the Mac, Coda is a solid choice.
A fresh approach to web code. Bursting with features but without bloat. Built to make your life better: Coda 2 is the editor you've always wanted.
So, you code for the web. And in Coda 1, we revolutionized that process, and put everything you needed in one place. An editor. Terminal. CSS. File management. SVN. But we knew we could do more.
Now, with Coda 2, we went beyond expectations. We added tons of highly-requested features, and a few nobody expected, then wrapped it all up in a shiny, groundbreaking UI fit for the future.
This update is, truly, major.
* Better User Interface
- Visual Tabs. Find files quickly, and see more tabs at once.
- Customizable Sidebar. Put your favorite, powerful Coda tools in the sidebar dock.
- Streamlined Workflow. You'll always know what you're looking at.
- Code Focus. Hide the sidebar, or go full-screen, and get work done.
* Better Text Editing
- Code Folding. Finally.
- Smart Complete. Autocomplete your custom variables + functions.
- Automatic Indentation
- Smarter Automatic Closing Tags
- Tab Key Text-Shifting
- One-Press Character Wrapping
* Better File Management
- Git. In addition to SVN, now you can manage source with GIT.
- Complete File Management. FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, and S3, with a Transmit interface.
- Transmit Twin-Turbo Engine. Some of the fastest file transfer in the industry.
- Path Bar Browsing. Click a path bar segment for an instant file list.
- Open Quickly. Pop it open, type a few characters, and find what you're looking for.
- Group Folders Above Files. A very popular request.
* Better Clips
- Multiple Placeholders. Quickly tab between the bits that need input.
- Dynamic Placeholders. Automatically fill in dates, URL's, text selections, and more.
- Insertion Points. Put the cursor at the right place, every time.
* Better Sites
- Groups. Drag related sites into a site board.
- List View. See even more sites at a glance.
- iCloud Sites + Clips Sync from Mac to Mac.
* Better Design
- Revolutionary CSS Pops. GUI pop-ups help with the hardest CSS as you code.
- Live Changes. See your CSS changes affect your page real-time.
- iPad / iPhone Preview. Shrink down your preview to just the right size.
* Better MySQL
- Built-In MySQL Editor. Without leaving Coda, administer your site's database with ease.
- Edit Structure or Content
- Run Arbitrary Queries
* Better Everything
- Improved Live Hints. As you type HTML, JS, or PHP, quick reference can appear in the sidebar.
- CSS Styles in Code Navigator
- Code Navigator Filtering and Sorting
- All-New Books
- Better Ruby Support
- Skip Files Rules
- Improved HTML and CSS Validation
- Easier Theme Editing
- Full-Screen Mode
- Quick Look
- Plugin API Improvements
- Much, Much More
AND INTRODUCING: AIRPREVIEW.
It's magic. Get our brand-new app, Diet Coda, exclusively for your iPad. Pair it with Coda 2 on your desktop. Then, watch your mind blow.
Your iPad now becomes a live preview window as you work on your web pages on your Mac.
Make a few tweaks, hit save, and watch as your iPad automatically refreshes. Pages are served from your Mac and rendered on your iPad, so you're getting a true mobile preview. Put your iPad to good use while you work!
(And that's not the half of it: Diet Coda is a full-featured remote web editor on your iPad, perfect for making quick fixes on the go!)
What's new in this version:
- Improved reliability of named placeholders in clips
- Fixed a crash when Helvetica Neue is missing
- Fixed a crash that would occur sometimes when closing a tab