CNET Editors' review
Everyone loves surfing the Web, but most people do not enjoy intrusive ads. The ClickToFlash for Mac plug-in makes your browsing experience more fluid and less distracting, but does not compromise content accessibility.
Once installed, ClickToFlash for Mac will automatically prevent Flash content from loading and try to convert it to a HTML5 equivalent. The installation part can't be easier, as it takes one click to install this plug-in. Don't get scared by the preference panel that pops up on your first use, as you don't need to understand all the seemingly confusing terms and options. If you wish to set up special conditional rules for certain Web sites and want to override the default behavior of the plug-in, this is where you have to go. Typically, this plug-in replaces media elements such as banners, ads, and videos with an unobtrusive placeholder stating "HTML5" or "Flash," making your browsing experience more fluid and less distracting. Simply click the placeholder to load the content if you want to access it. As a bonus, you can now download videos with one click. Another highlight Mac users will appreciate in this plug-in is the added support for AirPlay.
Simple to install and use, yet allowing enough customization options for advanced users, the ClickToFlash for Mac plug-in should fit the bill whether you are a hard-core Web surfer or casual reader who doesn't like to be distracted by many eye-catching ads.
From Marc Hoyois:
ClickToPlugin is a lightweight and highly customizable extension that prevents Safari from launching plug-ins automatically, resulting in faster browsing, reduced fan usage, and increased battery life. It replaces every plug-in object by an unobtrusive placeholder that can be clicked to load the embedded content. Further, it can replace many plug-in-based media players by Safari's native HTML5 media player ClickToPlugin is currently localized in English, French, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, and Japanese.
What's new in this version:
- Updated the YouTube killer with support for 480p FLV, 1080p MP4, and 1440p MP4 videos
- Updated the generic Flash killer with support for videos from screencast.com (thanks Smokey Ardisson)
More Products to Consider
- Explore the web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Alternative Web browser with server-side compression for slow c...
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Download a new, fast browser.
- Check out the latest beta of the next Firefox update.
- Beta channel of Google's web browser.
- Connect with friends, preview search results, and get website u...
- Combine powerful browsing with media downloading and sharing.
- Browse the web comfortably.
- Web browser.
- View Flash content in your Web browser.
- Browser plugin to view rich multimedia web content.
- Rich media content plugin for the web.
- Web browser with Mozilla's rendering engine.
- Access Facebook without a web browser.
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout.
- Full-featured read later and RSS client that supports services ...
- Block ad elements in Safari.
- Control home automation & security devices.
- Finds coupons for online shoppers during checkout automatically...
- Browse the web quickly and easily.
- Plugins for Final Cut Pro/Express.
- Plugin software for the iMage usb webcam.
- Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Preferences Too Well Hidden"
Version: ClickToPlugin 2.3.2
Preferences are hidden, too well hidden.
Without a UI overhaul, this extension is worthless. Option-, indeed. Right click? Forget it.
"For a more pleasant online experience..."
Version: ClickToPlugin 2.3.2
Does what it says and does it well.
Author is quick to respond with help.
You need to configure for such sites as Google Voice/Mail, but it's easy so it's not really a con.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content