CNET Editors' review
Circus Ponies Software's NoteBook is a versatile organizational application that can help you create electronic "notebooks" to track, manage, and work on almost any kind of project. This program uses the metaphor of a traditional paper notebook to reduce computer clutter and keep you organized. The power of NoteBook comes from its ability to pull together information from multiple sources--e-mails, PDFs, spreadsheets, Web pages, and the like. For example, you can automatically "clip" content from any Safari or Mail window into a NoteBook page, while NoteBook remembers where the information came from, so you can always jump back to the original source. NoteBook then keeps that information organized into pages, with dividers, auto-outlining tools, and customizable annotations, including voice annotation, "stickies," and "flags." NoteBook also integrates with iCal, so you can sync up your action items.
This can be an especially potent combination as it keeps your information in context (for example, by tying a to-do item to a relevant e-mail and particular contact info), and NoteBook's good search capabilities and self-generating "Multidex" index only multiply this effect. You can also export data as a PDF or Web site for sharing, including to MobileMe, and NoteBook integrates with a companion Notebook for iPad app--so you can open the same documents from either device. NoteBook makes it easy to get organized, whether you're creating to-do lists, keeping notes for a class, managing a project for work, or even writing the great American novel.
From Circus Ponies Software:
Yes, an app really can help you achieve your goals -- here are three ways NoteBook does it: 1. GET THE MOST OUT OF EVERY MEETING OR LECTURE WITH AUDIO THAT'S SYNCED TO YOUR NOTES With NoteBook you can record meetings and lectures, and sync every second to your notes, automatically. Every comment, fact and to do is captured and easily reviewable, so you will be better prepared and always able to follow through on your assignments. 2. STAY SUPER-ORGANIZED, WITHOUT MUCH EFFORT Circus Ponies NoteBook stores your information in electronic notebooks that are just like the paper ones you've used all your life. Set up dividers to create sections and subsections, and then fill the pages with your notes, lecture PDFs, web research, budget spreadsheets, and anything else. 3. FIND ANYTHING INSTANTLY, EVERY TIME NoteBook has a super search feature called the Multidex that helps you find things based on how your brain categorizes them. So if you can remember even a little bit about what you're looking for, you can find it quickly. There's no better way to search available anywhere, PERIOD. NOTEBOOK IS THE ULTIMATE TOOL FOR ACHIEVING THE MOST AT WORK OR SCHOOL As you use Circus Ponies NoteBook and your performance on tasks and assignments goes up, everyone will start to believe that you are an absolute genius. You will become known as the "go to" person for projects that just have to get done. When tough questions are posed, they will turn to you first for answers. They will want to ask, "How is it that you remember everything and are so well organized? How can I be more like you?" TAKE A VIDEO TOUR, THEN TRY NOTEBOOK *FREE* FOR 30 DAYS, AND SEE FOR YOURSELF Take a video tour to see NoteBook in action http://www.circusponies.com/videotour Then try NoteBook FREE for 30 days, and see for yourself how NoteBook boosts your performance http://www.circusponies.com/demo_trial
What's new in this version:
- Reverted the app icon from Retina-ready to avoid a problem when running NoteBook on Leopard. Full Retina support will appear in a future update.
- Fixed a problem with the correct file icon image not appearing for some attachments.
- Fixed problems with the appearance of 2D/gray cell controls when printed.
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to add images for annotation to the Multidex divider page.
- Worked around or fixed several crashers, including one rel... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Spoken-word transcription software.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Increase writing and notes productivity creative ideas.
- Manage your personal finances easily.
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- Scan, manage and organize your receipts and documents.
- Personal task management.
- Time tracking without investing time.
- Render your images into life posters.
- Personal journal with blogging and video support.
- Personal task management.
- Plan how best to use expensive and limited stock material effec...
- Control your spending.
- Phonebook, SMS, gallery, calendar, themes for Nokia phones.
- More than just a clipboard manager.
- Duplicate, burn or convert DVDs for iPod, iPhone or Apple TV.
- Outlining tool featuring a horizontal tree view.
- Write, organize, and blog a personal journal.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 84 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Potential. True digital notebook experience. Quirky."
Version: Circus Ponies NoteBook 3.1.8
Really like a notebook
Other apps don't let you:
-draw on your notes
-import and annotate pdfs
-create to do lists
-use post its and flags
-tag lines in your notes
-have active searches for todo across your notes
No iPhone version
Quirky and not intuitive at times.
This app has a lot of potential as it offers the true experience of an electronic notebook that no one else has. Not evernote or others. See my pros. The problem is that it is quirky. You have to dedicate some time and patience to learning it before you love it.
Still no iPhone app, which makes me question if the company has the funding to create it. Just doesn't make any sense to not have an iPhone app.
This is the reason I gave it a 3. It would higher with an iPhone app.
"Too little, too late"
Version: Circus Ponies NoteBook 3.1.8
It looks pretty. I wish other applications looked this good or used things like sticky flags and notes and so on.
Simply no longer relevant, as so many have in so many words indicated. Too many promised features never delivered and never consistent or stable enough to use as a tool for real work.
This once had promise and seemed "inspired" but now it feels like an idea that has seen its day and is trying to be relevant. Something has to do more than look pretty. It has to actually work consistently and be improved regularly. I paid for this a few years back and was so disappointed when more than once I lost time and work. I spent more time organizing than working in the best of times. In the worst of times, long hours cutting and pasting as I rescued what remained into an application that actually worked.
To be perfectly honest, I was secretly hoping the company would be bought by a group that could actually deliver stability behind a once inspiring front-end. This never happened and when I saw this "update" come through today, and while I had long moved on, I took a look. It was uncomfortable to see this wounded animal stuck in the mud flailing about, still living.
Someone please shoot it and put it out of its misery.