CNET Editors' review
CallRec is a midsize piece of commercial software that makes clear recordings of your notes-to-self and phone calls, and has enough options for tweaking the recording quality to cut out most background noise and adjust for storage space. The clean, understandable interface provides screen-touch buttons to start, stop, and replay recordings, though you can also initiate and end sessions by pressing the Treo's side button. CallRec names recordings with a time stamp, but it's easy to rename the file in the File menu, and to organize entries by file name or duration.
The preferences usefully track the available space on your memory card and convert that into how much recording time you have left. It's always possible to reduce a recording's file size by dropping its quality or compressing the file, though if you're a voice-documentation enthusiast, you may be happiest leaving the settings intact and purchasing more memory instead.
In our tests, recordings of voice memos and phone conversations both sounded clear, though CallRec didn't capture the first few seconds of my call after we initiated the voice capture. While the program records fine while other applications run, there's no trigger key to launch the recording independently of the CallRec app. That made recording incoming phone calls a much more belated process, and a more conspicuous one, by the time the program began recording. Top-secret documenters better practice launching CallRec quickly and noiselessly with their fingertips.
CallRec is useful for turning PDAs into tape recorders for capturing notes, instructions, meetings, and phone calls, though we wish we could enable the program once and use a hot key every time after to launch the recorder. Files are conveniently exportable through Bluetooth, e-mail, messenger, or beam.
From Qmobilsoft Team:
CallRec is designed to record telephone conversations and voice memos easily. When recording telephone conversations, both sides are recorded without needing to turn on the speakerphone on your Treo. CallRec stores files directly to the memory card and recording duration is limited only by free space on the card. With adjustable recording sample rate you can make optimal balance between sound quality and file size. Once activated, the program allows you to commence recording before or during any incoming or outgoing call with a single click.
With the aim of maximizing your recording time, CallRec has been designed for compatibility with SD memory cards, allowing you to record directly to your auxiliary memory. As you know, Treo 700p,Treo 680 and Treo 650 don't have a voice recorder built in. With CallRec, you can record your own notes. Need to record a quick note or thoughts? Just press the side button and start recording. Furthermore, you can configure CallRec to automatically record all your incoming and/or outgoing calls. Share your recording and send your files by IR, Bluetooth or e-mail.
Version 4.0 includes an updated interface, file compression, background playback, the ability to speed up or slow down playback, and other new features.
What's new in this version: Version 4.0 includes an updated interface, file compression, background playback, the ability to speed up or slow down playback, and other new features.
More Products to Consider
- Record all or part of your calls.
- Download YouTube movies and watch them with your Windows Mobile...
- Install no beep call recorder on Symbian Anna/Belle and S60 V5/...
- Detect and remove mobile viruses.
- Record your phone conversations in AMR or WAV format.
- Use your mobile phone as a recording device.
- Record your important conversations in either WAV or AMR format...
- Improve standard user interface and add PDA phone features to y...
- Learn English vocabulary on your Symbian device to pass the exa...
- View PDF files on your Pocket PC device.
- Record important meeting notes and conversations to recall them...
- Keep track of the amount of data you send and receive with your...
- Control how and when your Treo smartphone alerts you about miss...
- Read PDF files on your Palm OS device.
- Chat instantly with your friends and make phone calls.
- View, edit, and create MS Office 2007 documents on your S60 3rd...
- Dial your smart phone with your finger on your Palm OS device.
- Kill virus worms, trojans, and other harmful malware.
- Extend phoning features of your Treo Palm device.
- View your Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents anytime...
- Send your Pocket PC audio recordings via e-mail.
- Manage all calls and SMS you are unable or unwilling to take.
- Maintain high-quality digital voice recording, playback, and st...
- Make international calls at low cost with your Windows Mobile s...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: CallRec 4.0
Does exactly what it says it will and does not crash or cause shutdowns. I have been using it for almost 2 yrs.
Sometimes identifies a caller as someone else in your phone book. the good thing about it is it ALWAYS identifies the same wrong number for a paticular caller, so you can still track it down.
well worth the money if you need this type of program.
"Love it..best software I have."
Version: CallRec 4.0
The best program I have ever used.....I hate paying for palm software but I gladly paid for this one. I have a 4 gig card and move the conversations to my laptop every 30 days. It is like the Nixon tapes....I will use them for my memoirs. :-)
A must have!