CNET Editors' review
For those with certain e-reader devices, working with e-books on a computer can be difficult. Calibre for Mac is a free program that helps you manage your e-book libraries and create e-books from other sources for use on portable devices.
Calibre for Mac is an open-source freeware program, and it's easy to download and install. The initial setup is easy, but requires an e-mail address to link to the user's e-reader. Once this is done, the user is prompted to go to an outside Web site for more instructions on using the program, and some streaming demonstration videos. These covered the program generally, as well as specific, more complicated features. The interface is a little cluttered and confusing, making thorough reading of the instruction manual necessary. Fortunately, this popped up immediately after we started the program.
Despite the fact that the program is freeware, it offers functions beyond simply organizing and managing an e-book library. Calibre converts files between multiple e-book formats, allowing users to read books on different devices and even generate e-books out of Internet news sites for use in an e-reader later. It can also search out availability of e-books across many Internet sites.
For those with the time to work through its manual to learn all available features, Calibre for Mac may be a great option for e-book library management, especially considering that it's free.Calibre for Mac - Manage your eBook library - Download Video Previews:
From Kovid Goyal:
Calibre is a one stop solution to your e-book needs. It is free, open source and cross-platform in design. Calibre is meant to be a complete e-library solution and thus includes library management, format conversion, news feeds to e-book conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer. Calibre's features include: library management; format conversion (all major ebook formats); syncing to e-book reader devices; fetching news from the Web and converting it into ebook form; viewing many different e-book formats; giving you access to your book collection over the internet using just a browser.
What's new in this version:
- A new 'cover grid' view of the books in your calibre library
Excellent for judging your books by their covers :) To use click the button with the icon of a grid in the bottom right corner of the main window. It can be configured via Preferences->Look & Feel->Cover Grid
- A new, faster database backend
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Read the CBR files.
- Type in Hindi using iTrans scheme of transliteration.
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Search for various e-books from the Internet.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Manage all aspects of a high school student administrative syst...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Convert ePub, HTML, XML files to PDF file.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 27 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Don't virtually touch an eBook without it"
Version: Calibre 1.0.0
Free! Totally, inexplicably Free!
The GUI has been smartened up for its birthday. It's useful for anything having to do with eBooks: Reading, cataloging, editing, creating and converting eBooks. No other program is this capable and comprehensive for its purposes. It's a terrific blessing for the Mac community.
Then there are the added bells and whistles: Click the 'Fetch news' button and ogle. Then check out the Fetch news settings for adding your own news sources and scheduling downloads. This is for reelz! Then delve into tutorials and notice the depth of capability of this application.
The developer is terrific and very dedicated. He is constantly improving Calibre and adding features.
It has a learning curve and can be overwhelming to a newbie. The GUI can be confusing as it offers so much capability in one window.
I personally would provide the manual with every download. However, we are considered an Internet connected world, so downloading the latest version of the manual from the net can be an advantage.
The GUI elements used to be very plain, but recently they've spruced up nicely.
Calibre is a hefty gem, weighing in at about 250 MB, worth every byte! This has to be one of the most remarkably capable and important free programs in the Mac hemisphere. Highly recommended to one and all who enjoy reading, cataloguing, editing, creating and converting eBooks!
Don't virtually touch an eBook without it.
Incredibly grateful thanks to the remarkable developer of Calibre and his dedicated work on this terrific software project. (^_^)
Happy Birthday Calibre!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content