CNET Editors' review
Calendars and computers go together like bread and butter. Calendar Magic from EuroSoft is the best program we've seen for applying computing power to datekeeping. It can display virtually any calendar system known to science or history. How many calendar programs offer the French Revolutionary calendar; four Hindu calendars; two Balinese calendars; and Julian, Coptic, Hebrew, Yoruba, Ethiopian, Chinese, Baha'i, Bangla, and many other systems? Or can display Christian, Islamic, Jewish, and other holidays, feast days, and significant dates for any year in any calendar system? And save notes, post reminders, and offer 26 extra utilities that do everything from calculate fuel consumption to recurring decimals to biorhythms? Did we mention it's free?
Calendar Magic is very easy to set up and use; all you really need to remember is the Main Screen button, which returns you to the program's compact, customizable interface. The interface displays personal reminders in its main view, below the date bar, with the (optional) Julian Day displayed above the software's home location, London, England. Since we live elsewhere, the first thing we did was change the Location to the Faeroe Islands. The second thing we did was change it to our real location, which also displayed local sunrise and sunset times when we clicked the button to return to the main screen. This is the typical options setup process, and one we found handy. Though you can access any of the program's calendars, dates, times, reminders, quick notes, or utilities from the File menu, the easiest way to use Calendar Magic is to add the calendars and other features you use most often to the Favorites menu, which we did. Now clicking Favorites opened a brief menu listing just our stuff, such as the Persian arithmetic calendar, special calendar for Luxembourg, Chinese religious festivals, and the regnal date conversion tool for all English and British monarchs; essential, each one.
What else? Well, there's the Alarm Clock, Stopwatch, and Reaction Timer. Password protection. Body mass index, blood alcohol content, ovulation, and pregnancy calculators. Mayan and Aztec Constants. Epochs. The Traveling Salesman Problem. We haven't checked yet, but we're hoping it does the dishes, too. Major keeper.
Full year and individual month calendars for 26 different calendar systems and a month-by-month, side-by-side comparison of any two these calendar systems. Various types of planning calendars. "Dual Calendars" - full year calendars in various calendar systems which show, not only the months and days for a year in any one of the calendar systems, but also the corresponding Gregorian dates. Date conversions among the calendar systems. Lists of Western Christian festivals, Eastern Orthodox festivals, Islamic festivals and Jewish festivals for any (Gregorian) year. Jewish festivals may also be listed for Julian years 7 to 1582.
What's new in this version: Version 17.8:
- Implemented a simple Countdown Timer (Time > Countdown Timer) for counting down a specified time period, second by second, to zero. The countdown period may be specified in any one of the forms H:M:S, M:S or S, where H, M, S represent respectively hours, minutes and seconds.
- Reminders: Following discussions with a user, "every year" reminder descriptions may now contain an optional year field of the form
or , where YYYY represents a 4-digit year value... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Eliminate your credit card debt and consumer loans using popula...
- Transcribe audio recordings and control audio playback with a f...
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Record, store, and manage contact information.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 67 votes
Current version:4.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"I like it very much!!!"
Version: Calendar Magic 17.8
So many useful tools in side it
I inform to my friends
"The Swiss army knife of calendar software"
Version: Calendar Magic 17.8
A myriad of tools available for people interested in calendars. Has a very diverse amount of calculator utilities.
Access to help only available through the main screen not on each screen. Planning calendars are of limited format. Color selection of screens is limited. Reminders are limited. Return to the main screen message not consistent.
This is an interesting software program designed for people that use more than just a Gegorian Calendar system for dates. A number of different calendars (e.g., Hebrew, various Hindu, Islamic, Farsi, etc.) are available to the user. On installation and first use you are asked to identify the country your in and a town near you to set the time which can be easily changed. Date conversions, days between dates, religious festivals (for a wide variety of religions), and other so-so useful date information is provided (Olympiads, dates of reign for English monarchs).
The variety of the utilities provided is amazing. The calculators are primarily designed for specific use -- although a general scientific calculator is provided. Biorhythm, Body Mass Index, Blood Alcohol, pregnancy, and ovulation calculators are also available and interesting to try.
The help menu is very good, but only available by returning to the main screen which delays computational work. Modifying the color options is very limited. Only grey or a light blue is allowed although individual screens can be changed.
Overall, if you are just looking for a fairly straightforward calendar program or personal information manager -- this in not the one. It is loaded with all kinds of functions and utilities that most users will find novel to use, but not useful for their work. However, if you are doing international work or communicating with people from other countries this calendar program may be very useful for you. If you are interested in comparing calendars from different regions or calendaring systems than this is the software for you.
"Amazing number of different calendar systems!"
Version: Calendar Magic 17.8
There are several interesting functions like Biorrythm Calculator, etc.
Too many calendar systems, a little confusing.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content