CNET Editors' review
Broomstick for Mac offers a solution for users who find their menu bars crowded with the icons of apps they have installed. By allowing users to hide icons -- at least some of them -- Broomstick promises a tidier menu bar. However, Broomstick is kind of a pain to use, and we're not sure it's really worth the hassle.
Getting started with Broomstick for Mac is easy enough; opening the application reveals a straightforward menu with options to hide an app, show an app, customize the order of the menu bar icons, check for updates, or submit an app request. Broomstick can't hide every icon, but users can request support for additional ones. Of the apps we had installed, Dropbox and the native Spotlight app were the only ones that Broomstick recognized. We tried hiding Dropbox with Broomstick, only to find that it disappeared for a few seconds and then came back. We had better luck getting Spotlight to leave and stay gone, and we were happy to find that it came back quickly when we wanted it to. Curiously, when we tried to use Broomstick to reorder our icons, Dropbox did disappear, and it took a few rounds of fiddling and restarting Broomstick to get it to come back. Overall, we think that Broomstick is a great idea, but its execution could stand some improvement. If your menu bar is cluttered and you have a number of apps that Broomstick supports, it might be worth a try, but we're not terribly enthusiastic about it.
Broomstick for Mac installs and uninstalls without issues.
Broomstick is the easiest way to hide menubar icons that you don't like. While most apps that create a menubar icon allow you to hide it, some apps don't provide this option. Broomstick lets you take back control of your menubar!
Broomstick can currently hide the following apps: Air Video Server, Avira, Boom, Caffeine, Chronicle Mini, ChronoSync, Click.to, CrashPlan, Dimmer, DropCopy, Dropbox, Droplr, Flutter, Flux, FullControlHelper, Garmin ANT Agent, GrabBox, GrabBox2, GrowlTunes, Hiss, iTeleport Connect, Kuvva, LogMeIn, Memeo Backup, MiddleClick, MuteCon, Nocturne, NoSleepHelper, OpenDNS Updater, PleaseSleep, PuntoSwitcher, Quiet Read, RemotelessHelper, Seamless, SnagIt, Spotlight, ToDoHelper, Wakoopa Tracker, Wallpaper Clocks. If you would like to request another app be able to be hidden, then this can be done from within Broomstick.
What's new in this version:
- You can now hide Alfred, Apple's menubar icons, BetterTouchTool CloudApp, CPU Speed Accelerator, Evernote, Growl, Google Drive, Insync, Last.fm, Splashtop Streamer and LogMeIn Hamachi!
- This update also fixes a couple of typos, improves accuracy with the ordering of the menubar, and for crowdsourcing.
More Products to Consider
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- Get pop-up notifications for iTunes track changes, new email, a...
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Control your MacBook's fans.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Extend the Dock and get window previews whenever you hover your...
- Widget displays Amazon's lightning deals.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Icon and Dock cataloging and customization.
- Make the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of ...
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Keyboard tool that lets you "click" buttons and control your ap...
- Keep a list of events & show when they occur.
- Executes a list of programs after a time delay.
- Forces windows to go full screen when you click the green orb b...
- Create Mandala-like OS 9 icons.
- Get an Dashboard styled clock for your Mac OS X Dashboard.
- Decorate your desktop with original set of icons.
- Get an Office Clock styled widget for your Mac OS X Dashboard.
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content