From Spacejock Software:
With BookDB you can enter all your books with author, category, publisher etc and print them out in a variety of formats. Why would you need such a thing? Well, if you're always going to book sales and buying bargains only to get home and find you've doubled up, take a printout with you! BookDB has a super-condensed print mode so you'll need a magnifying glass, but at least it'll save a tree or two.
BookDB also has lending library features. With them, you can add borrowers, loan out books, add multiple copies and so on.
I've been asked several times how many books the program can hold. In theory, over two thousand million. (When I was a kid, a billion was a million million. That's inflation for you.) In practice, if depends on the speed of your computer. For example, I have a database of 2400 books and my Athlon64 3400+ displays the lists in a blink of the eye. To test larger databases I generated one with 30,000 books, 15,000 authors and 3,000 publishers. It was certainly useable, although there were short delays switching lists. At the end of the day, it's a trade off - if the average database was something that large I'd rewrite the program to make it more efficient on big files. Of course, then it would be less efficient for smaller ones, and as it's primarily a home & small library program I think the current method is best.
What's new in this version:
- Removed the '& Unknown' entries which cropped up after a LibraryThing import.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a high school student administrative syst...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Calculate body mass index for women.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Calculate your BMI using a chart.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Calculate body mass index for men.
- Calculate body mass index for children.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-5 of 5
"Suitable For Small Libraries"
Version: BookDB 2.2.40
Useful library feature for look-up computers is being able to present the library in view mode only, so no editing by users can be done. Comprehensive data information can be entered on main library computer which can check out and edit listings.
It's a little difficult to set up the view mode feature and it may be a little inconvenient to update the information on the patron catalogue computers, but not impossible.
Fantastic.I highly recommend this program. For a small library not yet hooked up to the internet, BookDB 2 is easy to use and has the security features needed. While I've looked all over the internet for other free alternatives, I've found nothing that comes close in terms of ease of use and features. The program even allows the user to print out bar code labels for books. As mentioned above, the program installed on the main librarian computer can be used for entering and modifying book data, entering borrower information, and checking books in and out. The View only mode can be set up on catalogue computers, on which data cannot be modified.
"Excellent program I have never had a problem with it."
Version: BookDB 2.2.40
My personal book collection is over 3,500 and I have them all listed in Book DB so I will not duplicate purchases.
nothing negative that I can think of.
This is my first online review of anything but I feel so strongly about Book DB which is a free download, easy to use, and fills all my requirements to keep an up to day record of my book collection.
"It works well. No sofistication, but effiency."
Version: BookDB 2.2.37
It is free.
Lack of customization.
"Nice basic book catalog with several useful features"
Version: BookDB 2.2.37
Installs on MS Windows 7. Several interface languages. Import and export like from LibraryThing.com. Truely free. Takes care of loans too.
Does not perform an isbn validty check. No option for translator role, limited to author and editor.
A book catalog is a complicated piece of software, if it should solve all variations. This software makes a bold effort, but seems to be stopped in its development which is sad. Maybe the author would want to open source it or continue modernization.
"A good database for your books, for free"
Version: BookDB 2.2.18
You can create a list of all your books sorted alphabetically by author, title, year, publisher etc. Enter as much or as little as you like. Double click on any one for full details in a seperate window, & more by clicking on Description/Categories.
Some minor shortcomings, for example you can only access the full details of each title from Books - clicking on Authors, Publishers or Categories only gives a lst of the relevant titles, you can't then see further details from these.
Could be a lttle bit more versatile, but it's the best free one at the moment.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content