CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will take you to the DigiPen Web site, where you must enter your age to download the game.
Bontago is an intense single-player or multiplayer, 3D, real-time strategy game. Players begin with flags spaced evenly around the edge of a large disk, called the field, balanced on a fulcrum in the center. The goal of the game is to encompass all of the world flags in the controlled area. To expand the controlled area, the player must build upwards and outwards with blocks. The higher you build, the more area you will control and the closer to the flags you will become. However, you must take care, as special blocks also can be obtained for creating earthquakes, volcanoes, and a wide variety of world-changing abilities that may help or hinder your efforts. Towers will fall, blocks will be blown away, and only the craftiest builders will survive. The first player to possess a continuous area containing the world flags wins.
CNET Editors' review
Bontago takes the art of block stacking to a new level with a strategy game based on spheres of influence. Using a series of random blocks, you build towers that mark your area of control. Taller towers capture a larger area on the map, and the winner is the player who can command the area surrounding one to four flags. Up to eight players can compete in LAN- or Web-based games, or single players can face off against up to seven bots. Though quick and simple block-stacking dominates the gameplay, power-ups create an enjoyable multiplayer experience.
Controls are mouse-based: The left button places blocks, the right button positions the camera, and the third button/scroll rotates the blocks. You can remap all the controls to keys, but camera control suffers. Good stackers will dominate low-skilled games. Once players have mastered stacking, however, random "gift boxes" with power-ups such as rockets, volcanoes, and bombs that tilt the map can decide well-balanced matches. The rules are easy to learn, yet the game leaves room for several styles of play. You can easily replace the soothing classical soundtrack with an MP3 of your choice, and the backgrounds are full of natural and astronomical wonders. Bontago should entertain strategy gamers.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Play 425 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Showcase various prizes on the screen.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play a free RPG indie game.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- 3d truck racing game.
- Create your own text adventures (interactive fiction).
- Play Spider Four Suits and four other spider solitaire card gam...
- Play through a whole career of wrestling matches featuring a va...