CNET Editors' review
This open-source, turn-based strategy game is fun once you learn the basics, although it can be a bit choppy compared to most modern games. The object in Battle for Wesnoth is to build a hero and strategically use your units to attack the enemy and conquer villages as you follow your quest.
The story line is compelling and provides a nice backdrop to the game play which can get confusing once several units on both sides enter into the fray. The two-dimensional graphics are nothing special, and the sounds aren't very advanced, but as a free game with large quests and multiplayer capabilities, it's hard to focus on these drawbacks. Newer versions of the game have added tons of content including 10 hours of gameplay with a new undead adventure.
Overall, we think this game makes up for its graphical shortcomings with solid game play and tons of replay value. Though it's somewhat dated, with customizable units and multiplayer capabilities, Battle for Wesnoth has plenty to offer anyone interested in strategy gaming.
This is a fantasy-focused turn-based strategy game with units carrying over and gaining experience between scenarios. Both single player campaigns and multiplayer games are supported. This game is currently being actively developed, but is already at in a highly playable state. Although cross platform in nature, great effort is being put into making the application as Mac-like as possible on this platform.
What's new in this version:
- Fix a serious enough bug in ai targeting. The bug caused the AI, in certain situations, to make weird shuffle-doing-nothing moves and not seek enemies or their villages.
- New translations: Shavian.
- Updated translations: Czech, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish.
- Updated map: The Manzivan Traps
- Removed Elder Wose and Shock Trooper from random_leader of the default era... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Play 475 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Showcase various prizes on the screen.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play a free RPG indie game.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play 3d truck racing game.
- Create your own text adventures (interactive fiction).
- Play Spider Four Suits and four other spider solitaire card gam...
- Play through a whole career of wrestling matches featuring a va...
- Fight battles between plants and zombies.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 31 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content