CNET Editors' review
BasicMouse BasicBoard BasicBrowser allows users to disable mouse and keyboard functions in order to control the computer activities of children or student users. The program also includes a special browser that gives access to only Web sites approved by the user.
The interface is fairly straightforward, with a series of check boxes that allow users to select which functions they want to change or disable. The Help file comes as a PDF and is sufficiently helpful, though it could stand to be more detailed. For a program that is marketed as a parental control, we expected more information about how the program's functions are actually useful, but perhaps that is for parents to figure out. The program's features do allow for comprehensive control of the mouse and keyboard. For example, users can disable the right or left mouse button or scroll wheel, or merge the buttons so that they all function as the left button. The keyboard options allow users to disable any and all keys on the keyboard. Users can set the program to run in the background so that it is not easily detected and can have the restricted BasicBrowser launch automatically. A password can be set to prevent users from disabling the program without permission.
BasicMouse has a 30-day trial period, which should be ample time for users to try it out. It creates a desktop icon without asking, but it does uninstall cleanly. We recommend this program for any users who need to restrict mouse or keyboard use on their computer.
BasicMouse allows parents and teachers to restrict several functions of the computer mouse and keyboard. The right mouse button can be switched off completely, all buttons can be set to send left-clicks, mouse clicks can be restricted to a particular area of the screen. BasicBrowser let's kids and students surf safer. A really useful program for students and kids who are still learning to use the computer.
What's new in this version: Version 5.4 has configuration Wizard and Super Kiosk Mode.
More Products to Consider
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Print at home or at your office passport photo and ID photo.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- Close application windows fast and easy.
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Create paste photos and pictures yourself.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Set an icon, background image, and description for your folders...
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Use numpad keys to control your mouse.
- Add an Alt-Tab function to your mouse.
- Categorize and keep track of your movie collection.
- Instantly hide selected programs and their tray icons using mou...
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
- Uninstall programs in your computer.
- Find out interesting information about your birth date.
- Automate mouse clicks on your desktop screen.
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Download Google videos easily.
- Disable private browsing option in any Web browser.
- Control your right click mouse button.
- Log mouse movement and clicks and the time you spend on the Int...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Simple and effective, makes using a computer easier for some people"
Version: BasicMouse BasicBoard BasicBrowser 2.5
In contrast to the editor's review I didn't encounter bugs / errors or any of that kind, I tested it on XP as well as on Vista.
I defintely not going to let my kids play on the computer without it, bm removes all distracting extra functions and restores what the mouse was originally intented for 'point and click'. I think lots of people can benefit using this software!