CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
From Discrete Systems:
IntroductionAvare is a free moving map VFR aviation GPS app developed in Boston, and donated to aviators and open source programmers. There are no ads, no special permissions, and no hidden charges. It features online or offline moving map, A/FD info; and browsing of all FAA VFR Sectionals even without GPS. The only Permissions required are SD card access for storing Sectional charts, Internet access for Downloading chart updates, and GPS location to provide the moving map feature. Some devices work even better with an external GPS, including WAAS capability when equipped.Notice: This is not an FAA certified GPS.Avare Advantages:Made by and for pilotsEasy to learn & useQuick and responsiveRuns on any AndroidChart/AFD, and airport diagram replacementNo adsNo invasive permissionsSafe open-source codeIf youre a pilot who ever wished for a free collection of FAA materials on your phone or other Android device in the cockpit, right now is the time to Install.Main FeaturesOn or offline moving map FAA Sectionals using internal or external GPS.On or offline browsing of Sectionals with or without GPS.Ground track bearing, plus GPS speed and altitude.Distance, bearing, projected bearing indicator line, and ETA to any destination.Destination AF/D, airport diagrams, airport radio frequencies, and airport runway information.Quick display of Sectionals and AFD at any "Base" airport you choose.Bearing and distance to any point on the map simply by long-pressing one finger on that point.Total application size for first installation is about 450 MB, which includes all FAA lower 48 states U.S. VFR Sectional charts, and an integrated airport AF/D (airport info, runway parameters, taxi diagrams, and communication frequency) database. Subsequent Updates to get the latest new features are far smaller because the map and AFD are already installed. Actual app size for Updates (without charts & AFD) is about 250k (0.25 MB).The application works on any device running Android 2.2 and newer (GPS required for moving map, but not for browsing charts & AFD). Most of the testing was performed on a first generation Android device running Android 2.2, although an inexpensive external Bluetooth GPS may improve accuracy on some devices, and some users prefer the larger screen area on a tablet device. Note: If you are unable to Install here, please check our Developer Website for other options. The fact that this app was designed for and runs fine on a minimal early Android device means that on newer devices its even more responsive and easier to use, and with a 3.5 or larger screen its much easier to use and read than a paper chart or similar size FAA certified GPS.After you Install Avare, visit our website to see our Quick Start Guide and for more detailed Help and Tips, and to share your feedback and feature requests or contact us directly.Launch NotesInitial startup may take up to a minute, until GPS is acquired and Sectional charts are displayed.With GPS acquired, text on the margins of the screen includes (clockwise from top left):GPS Speed; Destination airport code and distance if a destination has been input, time to input Destination flying direct at current speed, and GPS bearing to Destination; GPS altitude; and current GPS heading.A pointer is displayed at the current GPS location on the Sectional, and a dashed Track To Destination line is displayed if a Destination has been chosen.Use the Options key on your device to input Destination, consult AFD for Destination, switch to your selected Base airport for navigation and AFD, change Preferences, and access app Help on our website.Recent changes:Latest feature includes ability to see 50 nearest airports and their distance and bearing from current location. Nearest airports will only be shown when GPS is locked / or was locked at some point.We have been experiencing issues with GPS on some devices. We are aware of that and looking for solutions in software. But most of these issues are related to the phone's GPS hardware not acquiring satellites.Content rating: Low Maturity
What's new in this version: Latest feature includes ability to see 50 nearest airports and their distance and bearing from current location. Nearest airports will only be shown when GPS is locked / or was locked at some point.We have been experiencing issues with GPS on some devices. We are aware of that and looking for solutions in software. But most of these issues are related to the phone's GPS hardware not acquiring satellites.
More Products to Consider
- Track the location of your mobile and phone and local networtk ...
- Mumbai Train timetable,Bus routes,Auto & Taxi fare on your mobi...
- Download the latest release of Google Maps, and never carry a p...
- This application is an OBDII ECU diagnostics tool that uses a b...
- Premium turn-by-turn GPS navigation app.
- With Street View on Google Maps, explore the world at street le...
- FREE on-board maps & directions.
- Get to know your car with the premier OBDII diagnostic software...
- Track whereabouts of your family members without alerting them.
- Instantly translate over 50 languages.
- Display your GPS and sensor data on your Android device.
- Explore the world from the palm of your hand with Google Earth.
- This application is for booking your train tickets in Indian Ra...
- This app goes blip-blip by pressing the virtual car lock key. I...
- A cool social driving and navigation app that connects you to o...
- PAPAGO! GPS Navigation HK&MO.
- PAPAGO! GPS Navigation PH.
- Help you to find the best flight on your Android device.
- PAPAGO! GPS Navigation ID.
- Quickest and easiest way to check if airport weather are within...
- Naviator is a moving map GPS application built by pilots, for p...
- Get the GPS navigation tool for your Android device.
- Get rid of your dedicated GPS device for good! no subscription ...
- Install GPS Tag and use GPS tracking system for free!.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content