CNET Editors' review
Apple's Windows Migration Assistant for Mac lets users transfer network files from a PC to their Mac and offers all the ease of use and effectiveness you'd expect from a Mac tool.
Apple Windows Migration Assistant for Mac downloads as an EXE file and you'll need to install it on the PC you want to grab files from. Even though the app is around 5MB in size, the download took longer than expected. The installation was smooth, though, as there was a native installer present. For the transfer to work, both Mac and PC need to be on the same network. To start the process, you need to open the Migration Assistant located on your Mac in the Applications - Utilities folder. You can transfer data from a PC, another Mac, a Time Machine backup, or other disk to another Mac using an Ethernet cable. After selecting the option from a Mac or PC, you should see a computer icon with the name of your PC displayed. Continuing the setup you will see a passcode, which you need to verify is visible on your PC, as well. You will now have the option available on your Mac to select items to migrate. By default all available folders are checked and the size of each folder is displayed. After we selected the folders we wanted to transfer from our Windows 7 machine to our Mac, the application performed the transfer seamlessly.
Apple Windows Migration Assistant for Mac performs without any hiccups and does its job well. This is a great download for any user who needs to transfer multiple large folders from another computer to their Mac on the same network.
Use Windows Migration Assistant to migrate your files from your old Windows PC (Windows XP SP3 or greater) to your Mac running OS X Lion or Mountain Lion. Migration Assistant automatically transfers your contacts, calendars, and email accounts and puts them in the appropriate applications.
Windows Migration copies the following information from your Windows PC to your Mac:
- Email: IMAP and POP accounts from Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Windows Live email accounts are transferred to Mail. Email metadata such as read, replied, and flagged are transferred from Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail to Mail in OS X.
- Contacts: Outlook and Outlook Express contacts, and Windows Contacts from the Contact home directory are transferred to Address Book.
- Calendars: Outlook calendars are transferred to iCal.
- iTunes library, including music, photos, videos and apps and games for iOS devices, except rentals.
- Home directory folders and content, including Music, Pictures, Desktop, Documents, and Downloads.
- Browser bookmarks and homepage from Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari are transferred to Safari.
- User settings including localization, locale, and any customized desktop picture.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Screen capture utility.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- Manage your files and folders using skins, drag-and-drop suppor...
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Data recovery software.
- Eject mounted volumes quickly and monitor free space in the men...
- Restore bmp, jpg, png, tif, mp3 files fast and accurately.
- Updated for Mac OS X Snow Leopard to migrate to Lion.
- Multi-platform, remote control & Internet communication tool.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Recover your lost data.