The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
From Quantum Toast:
Akalabeth is back to the role playing world!
Experience the origin of a whole universe! Akalabeth, World of Doom - was developed in 1978 by Richard Garriott, creator of the famous Ultima series. It marks the beginning of computer role playing games, and is one of the first programs featuring 3D graphics on a home computer. It's also the first computer game featuring Orcs and Balrogs.
This app is an accurate replica of that genre defining classic, bringing the feeling of a true legend to your iPhone, iPod or iPad. You can't get more retro than this! GAMEPLAY: * Exact recreation of the original Akalabeth - World of Doom!
* Find the castle of Lord British and enter extensive 3D dungeons on your quest to become a knight
* Become a fighter or a mage and increase your stats during your quest
* Fight increasingly dangerous monsters the deeper you advance into the dungeons of Akalabeth, until you finally encounter the legendary Balrog
* It's still as immersive and fun as it was 30 years ago! FEATURES: * Elegant readjustment of the original keyboard controls for fluent touchscreen gameplay
* Original retro graphics and sound take you back to those glory days... ENHANCEMENTS: A few helpers have been carefully added in consultation with Lord British himself, to make the Akalabeth experience more enjoyable on your iPhone. If you are after the authentic experience, deactivate them. * Autosave - re-enter the game where you left it
* Start near castle - have a quicker start into the game
* Minimap - find your way through the dungeons
* No secret passages - don't get confused by hidden doors
* More food - don't starve to death all the time OPEN FEINT: * Earn achievements on OpenFeint for completing missions and killing increasingly fierce enemies
* Visit Lord British once in a while to receive highscore points for raiding the dungeons * Compare your scores on the OpenFeint leaderboard FINAL HINTS: * Search for Lord British's castle to receive a quest
* Buy lots of food in the beginning
* Beware of Gremlins, they will steal your food
* Press the upper right corner for advanced settings THANKS: Our thanks and dedication go to Richard Garriott, also known as Lord British, for his consent and support, and for all those hours we spent in Britannia...