CNET Editors' review
An AirPort Express will let you listen to iTunes over your home stereo speakers. Airfoil is an application that takes that simple functionality and turns it up to 11. The iTunes-AirPort Express combo is perfect for listening to iTunes on your nice stereo, but what if you want to hear music from a browser-based app like Pandora? Or Sirius Radio through an app like StarPlayr? Or work with audio from your Elgato EyeTV? Airfoil lets you send audio from any application (even your system audio) to your AirPort Express, so you can use your stereo for anything from RealPlayer and QuickTime to browser-based audio like Pandora's. When you Option-click the source menu, you can choose from all background processes, including virtualization programs like Parallels or VMWare. If you have Airfoil Speakers Touch, you can even send audio to your iPhone or other iOS device.
Airfoil also lets you send synced audio to multiple AirPort Express units all over your house, as well as to Apple TVs and even other local computers; Mac or PC, all you have to do is install the free Airfoil Speakers mini-app. Airfoil Speakers has gotten even better in version 4: you could already launch audio directly from it (without launching Airfoil first) and use basic playback controls, but now you can control Airfoil remotely from AirFoil Speakers with sources like iTunes and QuickTime.
Airfoil comes with a built-in video player, too, that lets you play video on your computer with synced audio, so you're no longer stuck with using headphones or your built-in computer speakers to watch movies. Airfoil Video Player also lets you watch video from Netflix or Hulu while keeping the audio in sync with your speakers.
From Rogue Amoeba Software:
Send any audio to AirPort Express units, Apple TVs, and even other Macs and PCs, all in sync! It's your audio everywhere! With Airfoil you can take audio from any application and send to your AirPort Express units, as well as Apple TVs, and even other Macs and PCs running Airfoil Speakers! Transmit audio from RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, and other media players. Send audio from web-based applications like Pandora, Last.fm, and other to the AirPort Express. You can even stream audio from audio devices like RadioSHARK, XM and Sirius radios, around your house.
What's new in this version:
Airfoil now properly restricts its search to the LAN, preventing possible issues with Back to my Mac and iCloud.
An issue where Airfoil Video Player could fail to open a DVD has been corrected.
A rare hang which could occur when an audio source spawned too many non-audio subprocesses has been fixed.
Airfoil will no longer crash if the Transmit button is pressed exactly as an output disappears.
Some sma... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Bring High Definition sound to YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Pandor...
- Change your voice and add sound effects to games and voice chat...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- MP3 Cutter Joiner is easy-to-use MP3 Cutter and MP3 Joiner tool...
- Enhance the sound quality of all PC audio.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Split and join MP3 files and WAV files.
- Mount ISO images as CD/DVD device virtually.
- Capture, edit, enhance, and burn whatever audio files you have.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 50 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Mediocre It Is - Dropouts Galore"
Version: Airfoil 4.7.5
For about a week this software and its IOS app worked like a charm. I was able to stream audio from browsers or streaming programs like Spotify to the living room audio and to iphone or ipad. It was great!! I have since discovered there are other programs that do the same (StreamToMe, e.g.) but Airfoil worked well. This changed.
I should also mention that the email tech support help was quite good, and I probably should give them one more shot. If nothing else, they inspired me to tweak my house wifi which works better than ever. I wish I could say the same for Airfoil.
Dropouts.....even when the wifi system is fully functional. Signal is disrupted for a half second repeatedly.
The program, in its present state, is a 25 dollar empty space on my hard drive. I would look to other alternatives, some of which have video as well as audio streaming which is the new big deal.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content