CNET Editors' review
An AirPort Express will let you listen to iTunes over your home stereo speakers. Airfoil is an application that takes that simple functionality and turns it up to 11. The iTunes-AirPort Express combo is perfect for listening to iTunes on your nice stereo, but what if you want to hear music from a browser-based app like Pandora? Or Sirius Radio through an app like StarPlayr? Or work with audio from your Elgato EyeTV? Airfoil lets you send audio from any application (even your system audio) to your AirPort Express, so you can use your stereo for anything from RealPlayer and QuickTime to browser-based audio like Pandora's. When you Option-click the source menu, you can choose from all background processes, including virtualization programs like Parallels or VMWare. If you have Airfoil Speakers Touch, you can even send audio to your iPhone or other iOS device.
Airfoil also lets you send synced audio to multiple AirPort Express units all over your house, as well as to Apple TVs and even other local computers; Mac or PC, all you have to do is install the free Airfoil Speakers mini-app. Airfoil Speakers has gotten even better in version 4: you could already launch audio directly from it (without launching Airfoil first) and use basic playback controls, but now you can control Airfoil remotely from AirFoil Speakers with sources like iTunes and QuickTime.
Airfoil comes with a built-in video player, too, that lets you play video on your computer with synced audio, so you're no longer stuck with using headphones or your built-in computer speakers to watch movies. Airfoil Video Player also lets you watch video from Netflix or Hulu while keeping the audio in sync with your speakers.
From Rogue Amoeba Software:
Send any audio to AirPort Express units, Apple TVs, and even other Macs and PCs, all in sync! It's your audio everywhere! With Airfoil you can take audio from any application and send to your AirPort Express units, as well as Apple TVs, and even other Macs and PCs running Airfoil Speakers! Transmit audio from RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, and other media players. Send audio from web-based applications like Pandora, Last.fm, and other to the AirPort Express. You can even stream audio from audio devices like RadioSHARK, XM and Sirius radios, around your house.
What's new in this version:
Airfoil now properly restricts its search to the LAN, preventing possible issues with Back to my Mac and iCloud.
An issue where Airfoil Video Player could fail to open a DVD has been corrected.
A rare hang which could occur when an audio source spawned too many non-audio subprocesses has been fixed.
Airfoil will no longer crash if the Transmit button is pressed exactly as an output disappears.
Some sma... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Add DSP effects to any Mac app with audio content.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Find, listen to and record internet radio.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Tune your guitar quickly and easily to any note.
- Rich and deep iTunes visualizer and screensaver.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Convert WMV, AVI, MP4, MPG, Real, FLV... for iPod, iPhone.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Transfers Spotify playlists to Google Music All Access.
- Lossless audio editing.
- Convert protected M4V files to MP4, MOV, iPod, iPhone or audio ...
- Digital video editing system.
- Find and map 802.11b/g/n wireless networks.
- Autotag mp3, m4a, mp4, m4p, ogg vorbis, flac files.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Backup, clone, and restore your information.
- Director Xtra to record & play sounds directly to and from the ...
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 50 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Mediocre It Is - Dropouts Galore"
Version: Airfoil 4.7.5
For about a week this software and its IOS app worked like a charm. I was able to stream audio from browsers or streaming programs like Spotify to the living room audio and to iphone or ipad. It was great!! I have since discovered there are other programs that do the same (StreamToMe, e.g.) but Airfoil worked well. This changed.
I should also mention that the email tech support help was quite good, and I probably should give them one more shot. If nothing else, they inspired me to tweak my house wifi which works better than ever. I wish I could say the same for Airfoil.
Dropouts.....even when the wifi system is fully functional. Signal is disrupted for a half second repeatedly.
The program, in its present state, is a 25 dollar empty space on my hard drive. I would look to other alternatives, some of which have video as well as audio streaming which is the new big deal.