A lot of people are looking at activating AirPrint on the new Snow Leopard 10.6.5, however it requires a tedious terminal session. AirPrintHacktivator allows you to "Hacktivate" and "De Hacktivate" AirPrint by adding or removing the 3 files required. All of this while making a backup of the current files so they are properly restored during "De Hacktivation".
What's new in this version:
- On the request of ecamm Networks I created my own set of on/off switch. I originally used png from their product distribution thinking they where not copywrited. I guess I was wrong. Any way, the new ones are made by me and should be good to go… unless Apple complain they look too much like the iPhone toggle switch.
- I was also advised that v1.7 contained the three old fines that are no longer needed. I made sure they are no longer included by Xcode.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Display custom messages and flash the Scroll or Num Lock lights...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Display unlimited world clocks with world map on your desktop.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Set your alarm clock and replace your standard tray clock using...
- Grab and save objects as they are copied to the Windows Clipboa...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Improve your productivity with desktop customization tools (500...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Schedule your initiation and finishing applications, documents,...
- Paste quickly pre-defined text in any Windows applications via ...
- Hide desktop icons so you can see more of your desktop backgrou...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 58 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Simple and effective!"
Version: AirPrint Hacktivator 1.7.1
Easy to install and use. Restores ALL original AirPrint beta capability.
Uncertain legal ramifications.
Why Apple disabled LAN print sharing aspects of AirPrint is uncertain. Somewhat verified is that another developer is contesting Apple right to provide this technology. While we wait and see, we have this terrific little hacking tool.
AirPrint Hacktivator is simple to install and is entirely effective at restoring ALL the capabilities of AirPrint that were found in the final candidate beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5 Snow Leopard. I have it working via Wi-Fi from my iPod Touch 4, with iOS 4.2.1 with my Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.5 to printers connected to my AirPort Extreme N Base Station.
It is required that one LAN Mac have each specific printer set up for Printer Sharing and that each printer have a Bonjour capable printer driver. Because AirPrint uses an active Mac as the intermediary, any Bonjour printer USB connected to an AirPort Extreme N Base Station can be accessed. (Presumably same would be true for the AirPort Express Base Station, the Time Capsule as well as printers directly connected to a running Mac). I am able to print to a USB connected Lexmark Z715 using driver version 1.0.5 (found on the Leopard install DVD, not on the Snow Leopard DVD). I am also able to print to a USB connected Epson Stylewriter C84 using the Gutenprint driver version 5.2.3. Epson's own driver is not working due to a Bonjour compatibility problem.
The printing interface on iOS devices is minimal with only the choice of how many copies to print. The printed results cannot be otherwise optimized; Therefore, what you get is a basic printout. But this is fine for most purposes.
If you have any setup problems, be doubly sure that you have Printer Sharing set up in the Network Preference Pane AND Print Sharing set up for each printer in the Print & Fax Preference Pane. If one driver fails, try another. Remember that there are Bonjour compatible Gutenprint drivers available on your Mac or installation DVD for most printers.
A nice feature of AirPrint Hacktivator is the ability to easily turn it off if you wish, restoring your system to its original condition.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content