CNET Editors' review
Aeon for Mac incorporates a new visualizer into some of the most popular media players, including iTunes. Like others of its kind, this premium extension presents you with abstract graphics and animations that react to the tempo of the music that is playing. What sets Aeon apart is the underlying hardware acceleration that improves the performance on slower machines.
Since it integrates with iTunes, Aeon for Mac will ask during installation for your administrative password. The demo version we tried does not come with a standalone app. Instead, it has to be activated via the View menu in iTunes. We tested the visualizer on a MacBook with integrated graphics and saw no distortions or stuttering. The animations are pleasing, but most of the transitions are somewhat abrupt, and each following visualization has little or nothing to do with the previous one, thus breaking the sense of continuity. The extension utterly lacks customizable settings.
If you like watching computer-generated graphics while enjoying your music, you will like Aeon for Mac. The ability of the visualizer to respond to the music's tempo helps to immerse you even more into the whole media experience. Don't expect it to be flawless, though.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Aeon for Mac 3.5.5.
Aeon represents a new dimension in music visualization, rich with content variety, color, and artistic depth. The result is a visualization filled with imagination and possibility. Aeon features an extensive library of visual content that can combine to form thousands of visual combinations and variations.
What's new in this version:
- Improved stability of fullscreen mode switching.
- Added thumbnails for the OS X System Preferences screen saver panel.
- Inserted workaround for ATI driver bug on older Macs that was causing white squares to be displayed in track text animation.
- Addressed installer permissions and compatibility issues under OS 10.5.
- All python files now use 4 spaces instead of tabs.
- Internal python cleanup.
More Products to Consider
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Digital video editing system.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Edit music, voice, and other audio recordings.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- HD audio converter for high-resolution files WAV, FLAC, AIFF, m...
- Process and manage media assets.
- Realtime video for theatres, event, installation.
- Tracks investments, specializing in asset allocation.
- Sketch ideas, add camera moves and generate animatics.
- Accounting asset management & depreciation.
- Edit MP3s without re-encoding.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Beautiful, stunning and expensive"
Version: Aeon 1.0
Overpriced, upgrade system.
Visually stunning, very original.
As with all of SoundSpectrum's visualizers, Aeon is a feast for the eyes. Colorful, smooth, and overall, a pleasing visual experience. But, the folks at SoundSpectrum really need to cut the price of their products, or at least have a much better and cheaper upgrade system. My rating for the visualizer itself: 5 --Rating for the price: 1.Oops. I mixed up the pros and cons. :)
Hence the 3 star rating overall.
Updated on Dec 13, 2010
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content