CNET Editors' review
We all love freeware, but someone has to pay the bills. That means sponsors who want you to try their products. You can decline optional downloads, but every now and then, unwelcome programs appear. The answer? More freeware, of course! Xplode's AdwCleaner is portable freeware that targets and removes adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). It's lightweight and fast, making it ideal for quick, regular preventative maintenance. It's Windows 8-ready, too.
We extracted and ran AdwCleaner on an ordinary Windows 7 PC with typical protection. AdwCleaner's logo-dominated user interface is small and generally easy to figure out. The controls are limited to Search and Delete buttons, though an unobtrusive Help feature in the upper-left corner accesses not only the program's options, which basically let you remove browsers and other items from the scan, but also the developer's site, where you'll find more information about AdwCleaner and PUPs, too. Clicking the Uninstall button completely removes this portable program from your system. That's a great feature if you're disinfecting a computer for a friend or relative since it leaves no traces behind, but it also deletes the executable file, so we suggest simply closing the window when you run AdwCleaner at home. When you're cleaning someone else's PC, simply copy AdwCleaner from your USB drive to the host machine and hit Uninstall when you're done.
We clicked Search, and a progress bar tracked AdwCleaner's scan. The scan finished quickly and turned up a small litter of PUPs whose pedigree AdwCleaner listed in a text file. While none was a serious threat, we were only too happy to send the whole bunch packing. AdwCleaner required a reboot to finish the job, which is usually a good sign, because a reboot is often required to thoroughly purge persistent PUPs, not to mention adware, toolbars, and other unwanted yet hard-to-eradicate software. But before and after we cleaned up after the PUPs, we also ran some similar freeware cleaners. AdwCleaner found things the others missed but also missed some minor items other tools found. That was more than enough reason to add AdwCleaner to our regularly scheduled maintenance.AdwCleaner - Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your PC - Download Video Previews:
AdwCleaner is a free tool that will scan your computer and efficiently removes Adware (ads softwares), PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program), Toolbars, Hijacker (Hijack of the browser's homepage). It also features anti adware host that will help to prevent advertising software from installing on your machine. It works with a Search and Delete mode. It can be easily uninstalled using the mode "Uninstall".
What's new in this version: Version 3.007 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 77 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Good software, impossible web site"
Version: AdwCleaner 3.007
AdwCleaner works fast, cleans well; I gave only three stars because of the ridiculous upgrade message that leads to a website that is impossible to make any sense of.
When prompted to update you are taken to the web site which is French and impossible to find any download or anything that makes any sense at all. It is also impossible to contact anyone for help owing to the ridiculous "captcha" method. My best explanation is contained in the email that I tried, with no success, to send to the developer/distributor:
I have been using AdwCleaner and like it, but just today when I wanted to use it again I received a message saying I must update it because I had an old version. When I clicked the "update" link in the message my existing copy of AdwCleaner instantly disappeared, but when I got to the download page there was nothing to download. Most of the page was in French and switching to the English option was no help.
This happened several months ago also, and I was hoping that the issue had been fixed so that I download and use the update, but that is apparently not the case.
I like AdwCleaner, but updating it is impossible.
A nice software but I can't recommend it until the so-called "update" website is rendered in English and clear, understandable navigation is provided. The software works well and seems a good tool, but avoid at all costs any suggestion to upgrade because "your version is out of date", because you will lose the software and find that there is no way to download the upgrade from the French site.
"Adwcleaner: Great, trusted tool!"
Version: AdwCleaner 3.007
This thing removed programs I didn't even know I had! They came with CocoonSoft's Quick Media Converter. It was mostly by Brothersoft or Conduit. It also helped me completely obliterate Babylon Toolbar - goodbye!
It uninstalled Freecorder - which I know for a matter of fact isn't malware. Even though it is a toolbar, it actually WORKS, so it's unfortunate that it is removed. However, it is a free program, so an easy install to fix.
Uninstall via the Control Panel before using this program and you're all packed.PLEASE! I know this program does NOT contain any malware! The only malware you are getting is from CNET's installer! Just click "Direct Download Link" under the green button. Seriously. You shouldn't need to use CNET's installer, ever.
Updated on Oct 14, 2013
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content