avast! Home Edition
A newer version of avast! Home Edition is available.Or, Learn More About avast! Home Edition
Full user review
"Turned out not to be free, but a 90 trial"
I had been running Norton (updated every morning). Still, AVAST found 5 viruses.
1) Only moved 4 of the 5 found to "chest" - got an error on the 5th.
2) Still has something that continues to reset the privacy setting to lowest level (maybe the 5th that didn't get moved)
Cons Continued:Oops! That should be 2.56GHz for the processor.
3) Slow - It ran for 9 hours on the 40 Gig HD of an HP Pavilon (Sports 2 GIG memory & 2.56 MHz Intel Celeron CPU)
4) I couldn't figure out how to have it run unattended. Had to constantly check to see if it had found anything bad, because it would then stop & wait for my direction..
5) Clicked on a free for home download but got a 90 trial. Don't know what happened - maybe tricked? I don't like being tricked.
Qualifier: I just downloaded last weekend, so it's too early to give a fair evaluation of product. Probably will uninstall before the 90 days though, and try free AVG. I hope IT is actually free, and will run unattended.
Updated on Jan 5, 2009