A newer version of Picasa is available.Or, Learn More About Picasa
Full user review
"Get a program for FREE that beats PAID FOR software!"
- Very quick program. Lightning fast.
- One click web publishing.
- Face recognition software is very cool.
- Auto sorting beats the socks of other programs out there.
- Takes a little getting use to coming from other software.
- No add on software available to allow instant upload to Flickr or other online services.
- Editing features very limited.
- Online storage is not as generous as Microsoft's free 25G.
Picasa was always a candidate to replace my long time devotion to Adobe. But there was always something holding me back. But the last major update introducing Face Tagging was enough to swing me over. Another reason to defect was a recent stay from an overseas relative. We wanted to share photos in an easy way and although Microsoft also offer Live Photo Gallery we had problems on that service as it couldn't (wouldn't) display folders with hidden files. So rather than fool around with online help forums I made a decision to pay $25 to get the online storage that Google offered and stuck with Picasa.
The face detecting service that links it up to peoples Googles profiles is so cool and the sharing features that Picasa has are miles more simpler to use and easier to get to than other competing software. Hard to believe it's a free program but the online storage costs kinda take the warm fuzzy feeling away from me right there!
Setting up the program can take a little time as it sifts through your entire hard drive for usable photos. Tidying up the folders also takes a lot of effort on your behalf but that only depends on how anal you are about how tidy the folders are.
Overall this is a gem of a program and has become one of the most used icons on my desktop besides the browser. Can't wait to see what other new features Google introduce with their recent acquisition of Piknik!