Microsoft Office Communicator 2007

CNET Editors' Rating 3.5 stars

Very good

Average User Rating stars

out of 5 user reviews

Back to product review

Full user review

  • 1.0 stars

    "Completely hopeless"

    February 3, 2011  |   By Mike Cogswell

    Pros

    No too many. It installs OK I guess.

    Cons

    Virtually everything about it.

    Summary

    Completely hopeless communication solution. I work in a company with 2,000+ employees and we use Communicator (or we try to) for text messaging, file sharing (small files between users, rather than larger collaborative sharing for which we use our own company's software; yes we are a large software company ourselves), voice calls, voice conferences, and one on one screen sharing and conference screen sharing. For a program that is called "Communicator" it makes Communicating pretty darned difficult. Text messaging works 90% of the time, but the other 10% you get (usually minutes after the message has been sent) notification that the server rejected the message or the receipient did not receive it. I don't think I (or anyone else I know in the company) has successful shared a single file using Communicator. When it comes to voice calls it's hit and miss. Sometimes we can't get a connection at all, and other times it works perfectly. When it does work, it works well, but it's so hit and miss it cannot be relied on. I find I often have to revert to land lines or Skype. Finally, for screen sharing it is like voice calls; hit and miss. For example, last night we had a large conference call. We had people from several countries involved in the call (USA, Germany, Australia, Canada, Pakistan) but the video kept disconnecting different people at different times. For a while there it was working great for me since only other people were getting kicked off, but eventually it caught up to me too. I missed probably 45% of the meeting. Other people missed more. We all agreed we can't keep using this poor software. I strongly recommend you look elsewhere. You'll regret it otherwise. Lastly, I'm sure the instant rebuttal wil be something along the line of it must be something to do with your internet connection. My answer to that is that this is not just me running into this trouble, it's everyone I know in my company. Furthermore we do not have these kinds of issues with Skype, LiveMeeting, Outlook or any other communications solution; only Communicator (the software that doesn't let you Communicate). OK, I'm off to try to sign in to Communicator, but when I right-click the system tray icon and choose "Open", nothing happens, period. In fact when I right-click and choose "Exit" nothing happens either. This is certainly some truly well engineered software..... NOT!

    Reply to this review

    Was this review helpful? (3) (0)

Submit your reply

Submit

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our site terms of use.

cancel

Add Your Review

Log in or create an account to post a review.
You are logged in as . Please submit your review for Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 2.0.6362
Add Your Review

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited.
Click here to review our site terms of use.

E-mail this review

Submit cancel

Report offensive content

If you believe this comment is offensive or violates the CNET's Site Terms of Use, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the comment). Once reported, our staff will be notified and the comment will be reviewed.

Select type of offense:

Offensive: Sexually explicit or offensive language
Spam: Advertisements or commercial links
Disruptive posting: Flaming or offending other users
Illegal activities: Promote cracked software, or other illegal content
Submit cancel

Error

close

ERROR MESSAGE

If you think this is an error, please contact CNET TechTracker Support for further assistance.

Ok

Running Request

close

loading

Smart Install Software

close

CNET TechTracker will now automatically install software without requiring further action by you. (Note: This feature automatically accepts associated EULAs and third party applications on your behalf.)

You have selected the following software to Smart Install:

CNET TechTracker will attempt to install this software without interrupting you again. If an application requires manual installation, CNET TechTracker will download the installer and prompt you to take further action.

Proceed with Smart Install?

Confirm Standard Install Cancel